/usr/bin/python will be removed in macOS 12.3!

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Wed Feb 23 02:04:03 UTC 2022

SIP is only the beginning of your boot disk headaches.

Starting with Catalina, and continuing into Big Sur, Apple made it
increasingly difficult to make any modifications to anything in the system
volume. In Catalina, the root volume was split into two: the System volume
and Data volume, and the System volume is mounted read-only. Starting in
Big Sur, the System volume is not just read-only, but the entire volume is
now also cryptographically signed, and is referred to as a Signed System
Volume (SSV).

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/06/25/big-surs-signed-system-volume-added-security-protection/

I remember reading online somewhere that an SSV which has been unsealed can
never be fully re-sealed, even if you bless a new snapshot, but I can't
seem to find where it was that I saw that anymore.

See also:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/395508/can-i-mount-the-root-system-filesystem-as-writable-in-big-sur

--
Jason Liu