Frotz build targets

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 2 05:07:11 UTC 2022

On Jun 27, 2022, at 17:47, Nils Breunese wrote:

> I don’t maintain any ports with GUI’s myself, but I believe flavors like x11, sdl, etc. are usually provided as variants of a port instead of as subports. You can also specify conflicts between variants if there are any to avoid users installing conflicting variants. For instance the glib2 port contains 'variant x11 conflicts quartz { … }’.

Many ports currently use variants for this, yes, but partly that's because they got done that way before the subport feature existed. Separate ports (whether implemented as subports within a single Portfile or as separate Portfiles) are better because, if done correctly, any number of those ports can be installed simultaneously, and we can build binaries of them on our automated buildbot system. (We only build ports' default variants.) This in turn is preferred by users, who would rather not have to compile things from source just because they want a different set of options compiled in.

The freeciv and freeciv-x11 ports are examples of this, and Chris has recently indicated a desire to undertake the restructuring necessary to do the same separation for glib, gtk, and everything depending on them; see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63680.