compilers PortGroup

David Strubbe dstrubbe at macports.org
Sun Jul 3 19:50:30 UTC 2022

Hello Mark,

I think you may have a basic misunderstanding here. The compilers portgroup
provides variants that select compilers, rather than being a way to select
the compiler in the portfile. It will provide gcc/gfortran (in specific
versions). If something like clang doesn't work, you remove it from the
variants list. "active_variants" is about compatibility of compilers used
by dependences. As far as I know, variants are definitely still the
recommended way of handling compiler selection. I suggest you look at some
examples to see how to use compilers portgroup. I made many in the science
category, such as octopus, sparskit, berkeleygw, libxc.

David