bazel 4.2 and 3.7 no longer building with native clang

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 09:53:42 UTC 2022

Hi

On 13/07/2022 10:50 pm, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2022, at 11:46, Steven Smith wrote:
>
>> How does one reconfigure the bazel Portfile to use a previous version of clang that has a chance of working to build previous versions of bazel, which are in turn necessary to build the tensor flow packages.
>
> If certain compilers that MacPorts might choose will not build a port, add their names to compiler.blacklist and MacPorts will choose another compiler.
>
> If you only want to exclude certain versions of a compiler (such as {clang < 700 >= 900}), include the compiler_blacklist_versions portgroup.
>
> If you've excluded all compilers MacPorts might choose, add a suitable compiler to compiler.fallback.

This is all correct from the MacPorts side, but bazel is a different
beast. It goes out of its way to not use the 'standard' ways of
selecting compilers etc. That is why the bazel PG and portfile has all
the convoluted logic it does to try and enforce the MP choice. I know
this logic is fragile, it always has been.

Personally, I've conceded defeat to bazel. I've lost interest in the
battle but I wish you luck if you wish to take it up...

Chris