bazel 4.2 and 3.7 no longer building with native clang

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:23:14 UTC 2022

> I've conceded defeat to bazel. I've lost interest in the battle but I wish you luck if you wish to take it up...

My interest in bazel is the minimum necessary to get tensorflow-related projects working.

FWIW, bazel 5 builds and works on macOS, but previous versions do not, and I strongly doubt whether any magic selection of compiler will get them to work: https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/issues/15876

My takeaway is to avoid any version prior to version 5 (implying that the existing MacPorts bazel state is both broken and obsolete), and that only if absolutely necessary previous versions can be obtained from binary downloads from github.

Personally, I have also adopted the stance of avoiding bazel entirely unless absolutely necessary.