Fastly Mirrors Throttled to 1 MB/sec?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jun 6 17:53:00 UTC 2022

On 2022-6-6 23:54 , Christopher Nielsen wrote:
> Over the past few months, I’ve found that downloads from ‘packages.macports.org’ and ‘distfiles.macports.org’ are consistently throttled at 1 megabyte/second. And while that isn’t an issue for smaller payloads, it significantly impacts binary installation/update times for larger ports like Rust, the various LLVM ports, etc: The vast majority of time is spent waiting for the download to occur, with the installation occurring in a few seconds.
>
> Cancelling the download via Ctrl-C results in the next mirror being selected - which for me, is generally ‘ywg.ca.packages.macports.org’ - resulting in a fast non-throttled download.
>
> So the $100,000 question is: Are our Fastly-based mirrors intentionally throttled at 1 megabyte/second?
>
> If that’s intentional - particularly to reduce hosting costs - then no worries. But just figured I’d ask, in case that’s not supposed to be occurring.

Try fetching the same file twice in a row. In my experience, the first
fetch from a cold cache is quite slow, but once the local node has the
file, it will saturate my connection.

It is unfortunate that the CDN fetching from the master server is so
much slower than the client fetching from the master server directly,
and I'm not quite sure why that is.

- Josh