Fastly Mirrors Throttled to 1 MB/sec?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jun 8 21:16:05 UTC 2022

On Jun 8, 2022, at 1:41 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2022-6-9 03:12 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> is the origin server bandwidth constrained?
>
> The origin is nue.de.packages.macports.org, and fetching from there directly is considerably faster (~5 MB/s for me, vs 948 kB/s going via the CDN when it has to fetch from the origin).

Presumably fastly is pulling from somewhere closer to it also. Looks like fastly doesn't have a push/preload/cdn file storage solution (they have support for a bunch of cloud storage providers) - but that's probably the next step if we needed it to be faster.

and/or if we had other origin mirrors it could help (I'm not sure how fastly select which origin to pull from, but presumably if there was one in North America it would result in faster initial downloads to people in North America, for example).

--
Daniel J. Luke