+universal for x864+arm64 on Macintel

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:40:19 UTC 2022

> On 13 Jun 2022, at 1:06 pm, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ryan Schmidt wrote on 20220613::04:34:46 re: "Re: +universal for x864+arm64 on Macintel"
>
>> As far as I know, the SDK would also need to support arm64, which SDKs prior to macOS 11 don't. Therefore MacPorts doesn't support compiling for macOS for arm64 prior to macOS 11.
>
> What Apple call the SDK is essentially the combination of standard headerfiles (incl. the system-specific ones) plus the standard libraries (including the ones for system functions). Is there any reason to suspect that one cannot use the 10.11+ SDKs on earlier OS X versions?

Macports only supports buidling against  the sdk you would ‘naturally’ get installing the Xcode/CLT version supported on a given OS. Whilst it might be possible in a hacking way to install a newer SDK on alder OS, this is not something macports can realistically support.

So no, macports only supports building for arm on macOS11 or newer.

Chris