+universal for x864+arm64 on Macintel

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:49:20 UTC 2022

On Monday June 13 2022 21:40:19 Chris Jones wrote:

I did indeed misread; I should have realised that 10.11 predates ARM Macs by too much.

>Macports only supports buidling against  the sdk you would ‘naturally’ get installing the Xcode/CLT version supported on a given OS. Whilst it might be possible in a hacking way to install a newer SDK on alder OS, this is not something macports can realistically support.

Ryan has a recent port that installs (I think) any of the available SDKs and I got the impression it was possible to build ports against these SDKs.

However, I wasn't thinking about building within MacPorts. I first installed MacPorts as an easy way to obtain libraries that I needed for my own software (and Qt binaries for Mac were long if not still built against dependencies installed through MacPorts). That's the context I had in mind - there is very little point to (locally) building ports for an architecture you can't run.

Anyway, I've got an answer to my original question.

R.