macOS 13/Xcode 14 requiring code signing of all apps even on x86

Zhenfu Shi i0ntempest at macports.org
Tue Jun 14 07:23:00 UTC 2022

Hi all,
It’s probably too early to talk about this but I would like to share something I found playing with the newest beta OS.
When trying to get iTerm2 port to build on macOS 13, Xcode spits out error "An empty identity is not valid when signing a binary for the product type [type]”. Previously to avoid signing problems, I or someone else had the identity removed, effectively disabling code signing. This apparently no longer works, and I had to use the adhoc signing identity “-“ for it to build.
This could affect a number of ports that are using Xcode to build apps, so I figured people here should know.

Zhenfu