Upgrading py-poetry-core and pep517

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Sep 11 18:20:09 UTC 2022

On 2022-9-12 03:40 , David Gilman wrote:
> There's a new release of poetry and py-poetry-core and poetry. I have
> the PR ready at https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/16088
> . However, I am unable to get it to cleanly upgrade from an older
> version of py-poetry-core.

Can you share a log?

> I think the issue has to do with the pep517 machinery intertwining
> with Poetry. If you have an old version of py-poetry-core / poetry
> installed the Python imports to do the pep517 build are trying to
> import across old and new versions of py-poetry-core / poetry and
> refactoring internal to those packages is breaking the install.

The module in the workdir should normally be found before any installed
version.

> I am pretty stumped here about what to do next. Is there functionality
> in the Portfile DSL to force an uninstall/reinstall? That would be a
> quick and easy fix.

There is the deactivate hack, but that should be avoided if at all possible.

> As far as the "python.pep517_backend" field in the Python portgroup
> goes, it needs to be left default (setuptools) otherwise you get a
> cyclical dependency of py-poetry-core on py-poetry-core.

The backend should be cleared for poetry-core since it doesn't need any
dependency added (it bootstraps itself, it doesn't use setuptools).

- Josh