Portfile magic / xinstall usage / defect?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Dec 10 03:51:45 UTC 2023

(Moving to macports-dev)

Frank Stock wrote:

> My main focus is .pkg component installers targeting systems where a development toolchain is not realistic.
>
> * Do you think it would be possible to use mtree and add_users data to generate code for a postinstall script handling user/group creation and file ownership?
>
> * If so, would there be any interest from the MacPorts team in a pull request for that?

So it sounds like you're saying that file ownership is not currently
preserved by 'port pkg'? :)

Yes, a reasonable PR to fix that would most likely be accepted. However
I don't think a postinstall script would be required, I'm pretty sure it
would just be a config option for pkgbuild or something.

- Josh