Trace Builds Fail at Extract Phase

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Dec 10 14:30:01 UTC 2023

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 09, 2023 at 01:09:24PM -0500, Steven Smith wrote:
> Trace builds often fail at the extract phase (example below).
>
> I see plenty of tickets about this on trac, but I’m not sure what the fix is.

Is this an arm64 machine? If so, that's
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/66358.

I looked at this, but I can't fix it. Apple now uses the arm64e
architecture for its binaries, which includes pointer authentication,
but only allows binaries that are signed by Apple to use that
architecture, because they consider it preview.

This could be avoided by setting the -arm64e_preview_abi boot argument,
but the boot arguments cannot be changed without also disabling system
integrity protection.

When Apple brings the arm64e architecture out of tech preview, I can
take another shot at fixing this. Until then, trace mode is dead on
arm64, unless you want to disable system integrity protection.

--
Clemens