Process (was Re: [macports-ports] branch master updated: nmap: fixes for 32-bit and pre-C++11 platforms)

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Nov 3 01:17:56 UTC 2023

On 11/2/23 10:28, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2023, at 9:32 PM, Perry E. Metzger<perry at piermont.com>  wrote:
>> As an aside, as it stands, the rules situation with closed maintainer / open maintainer is kind of unpleasant already. For example, I'd like to be able to indicate that I'm happy with anyone making reasonable changes to my ports on their own without waiting three days for me, but there's no way to do that, because "open maintainer" really means "three day timeout" just like closed.
> openmaintainer means that - but just for other committers.

That's not my understanding, though I could be wrong. Perhaps the exact
policy needs to be better documented?

> I don't think we want anyone to be able to commit anything to any openmaintainer port w/o review from a committer.

But they can't. Github doesn't allow it. Unless you have commit access
to a repository, a committer needs to be involved (and will review).
But, my understanding was you needed to wait three days?

>   (Maybe we need more committers or to be quicker in giving people commit, though).

I think there are several major contributors right now who should be
given commit access, though that's a distinct issue.

>> It would be nice if we had some sort of larger set of gradations for what people prefer, from "I handle all commits on this, period" to "if you have commit access and want to help, don't ask, just do it."
> that's what openmaintainer means (with the exception of large changes changes)

I think that used to be the case but it was changed?

>> As another aside, we also have a ton of ghost maintainers who never respond but whose name being on the port means you have to ritualistically wait three days for a reply you know will never come.
> Maybe we need an update to the port abandoned process (or some sort of positive checkin for maintainers to make sure they're still interested in maintaining a port)?

I think that would be good.

Perry