Process (was Re: [macports-ports] branch master updated: nmap: fixes for 32-bit and pre-C++11 platforms)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Nov 4 06:48:08 UTC 2023

On Nov 2, 2023, at 9:17 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/23 10:28, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Nov 1, 2023, at 9:32 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
>>> As an aside, as it stands, the rules situation with closed maintainer / open maintainer is kind of unpleasant already. For example, I'd like to be able to indicate that I'm happy with anyone making reasonable changes to my ports on their own without waiting three days for me, but there's no way to do that, because "open maintainer" really means "three day timeout" just like closed.
>>>
>> openmaintainer means that - but just for other committers.
> That's not my understanding, though I could be wrong. Perhaps the exact policy needs to be better documented?

Probably, the guide says:

"If a port's maintainer contains the address <openmaintainer at macports.org>, this means that the author allows minor updates to the port by other committers without contacting them first. But permission should still be sought for major changes.
Committers are expected to investigate as thoroughly as necessary to confirm that an update is in fact minor. Some projects have made quite major changes with only a tiny change to the version number. And of course a committer should always verify that a port not only builds but works correctly after a change, before pushing it.
Pull requests for maintained ports should not be merged by anyone other than their creator or the port maintainer until the 72-hour timeout period has passed, even if the port is openmaintainer. This is because the change is either from a non-committer, or from a committer who could have just pushed the change directly, and by opening a PR is signalling a desire to have the change reviewed by the maintainer."

So, I'm guessing the change you want to add here is to let committers vet non-committers proposed changes and merge PRs to openmaintainer ports?

It doesn't seem unreasonable to me (but I've also moved most things to no longer have openmaintainer b/c of people changing things without pinging me at all about those changes).

--
Daniel J. Luke