More classes of maintainer

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sat Nov 4 06:42:23 UTC 2023

On Nov 2, 2023, at 9:26 PM, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> On 11/2/23 20:58, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> Did the situation change since our assessment back then? As far as I am
>> aware, there is still not a way to categorize GitHub Issues except with
>> labels. How would we manage the ~4000 open tickets for ports with GitHub
>> Issues?
>
> I think that much of what's changed in the last seven years has been people's expectations and how people engage with open source projects hosted on Github. It's clearly the case that moving tickets to Github would mean loss of some information, but I think it would be far outweighed by the improvement in engagement by the user community.

I don't have an opinion here other than to say that without any testing, it's hard to know what will actually improve engagement.

(Before we moved to github there were many people saying we'd get lots more commits by moving to it, but the volume doesn't seem much higher to me - of course, I also didn't measure before/after so my perception could be incorrect).

--
Daniel J. Luke