NodeJS on PowerPC: it finally compiles, but resulting static lib too huge for libtool to handle

Sergio Had vital.had at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 20:00:14 UTC 2023

Anyone interested to have NodeJS on PowerPC, finally? :)

I have provisionally fixed the build up to linkage, however at the moment libtool fails to handle resulting static lib, complaining about os/kern no space available.
Any ideas to try?

There are a couple of issues to sort once the build succeeds (I suspect it will not work correctly from the go), but at the moment this one is a stopper.

What I build now is nodejs14, since its final release uses a version on V8 not too remote from the one which V8 upstream tried to fix for ppc32 in 2020, so their patches require minimal rewriting. It was never fixed completely, and upstream abandoned the effort (I suspect due to their ridiculous release schedule – it is impossible to keep rebasing at that speed).
There was a totally separate work on nodejs12 for ppc32 which claimed to have worked, but that stuff does not seem too compatible with newer versions.

Later versions of NodeJS should be fixable, it is just more annoying to unbreak lots of stuff which was committed since then to V8, so if 14 works, 21 should be possible.