More classes of maintainer

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Nov 5 19:07:09 UTC 2023

On 6/11/2023 05:57, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> On 11/5/23 13:36, Joshua Root wrote:
>> There has been an increase in commit volume in more recent years, but
>> it certainly didn't coincide with the GitHub migration in 2016.
>>
> Put it differently: I do a lot of merges of updates from random people
> to the repository, and I'd probably be doing none of it if I couldn't do
> the code review, CI checks, etc. cleanly and easily inside of Github.
> Modern development tools make a lot of stuff ever so much easier.

I don't disagree that PRs are a smoother workflow for some common cases.
You don't have to sell GitHub for this, we already decided to use it. :)

If we did ever decide to switch platforms, it would almost certainly be
to something with equivalent functionality.

> Perhaps it took a while from the repository transfer until people got
> the hang of things so the increase wasn't synchronous, but I really
> don't think anyone would sanely want to go back. It's much better now.

It's really impossible to draw any conclusions about causality here;
there are too many confounding factors just for starters (like a pandemic.)

- Josh