More classes of maintainer

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Thu Nov 9 00:33:12 UTC 2023

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023 at 3:47 PM Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 01:58:00PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > On 11/5/23 13:37, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> > > To clarify - this was in the context of commits to base/
> > >
> > > (That may or may not change your perception - but like I said, I
> > > didn’t measure and this is totally measurable).
> >
> > I don't think the base tools are getting a lot of attention because
> > they mostly just work?
>
> Maybe that's the perception, but I'd argue it really isn't true. There
> are lots of improvements that could be had in base, if somebody had the
> time to implement them.
>
> Just to name a few ideas:
>
> - Hooks to run certain scriptlets (defined somewhere in the ports tree)
>   when files in specific directories are installed
> - Switching selfupdate from rsync to http, which would avoid leaving
>   users behind where the network blocks rsync
> - Switching to more modern signatures compared to the RSA signature over
>   the RMD160 hash we're still using today
> - Improvements to make builds more reproducible (e.g.,
>   SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH, clamping mtimes of generated files, ...)
> - Finishing the 'port migrate' command to automate the migration process
> - Better post-build testing to detect problems in ports, e.g., scanning
>   all compiled binaries to ensure that the files they link against are
>   in their declared transitive dependencies.
>
> And these are just the ones I have worked on, or have on my todo list.

Yeah, I've got a bunch written down, too; this Trac query gets the
ones that I've filed tickets for on Trac over the years:
https://trac.macports.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=base&reporter=egall%40macports.org&reporter=egall%40gwmail.gwu.edu&reporter=cooljeanius&order=priority
...and these are the ones I'm on cc for:
https://trac.macports.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&cc=~egall%40macports.org&cc=~egall%40gwmail.gwu.edu&cc=~cooljeanius&component=base&order=id