More classes of maintainer

Herby G herby.gillot at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 19:23:30 UTC 2023

I think the challenge with base is that it's a Tcl codebase, which is a
language most developers these days are less familiar with.
Folks write Portfiles, yes, but they don't have to write proper Tcl too
much as much of Portfile development is very declarative.

I also understand the desire not to get too bought into Github, but like it
or not, it's a massive default in the world of modern software development.

I have a strong notion that if we started using Github Issues for tickets,
after a while we'd see an uptick in tickets being opened by the community
(granted that it would take a while for the understanding to propagate that
Github Issues is available). That's because Github Issues is less friction
for folks already using Github for all the other software they're working
with, as compared to having to deal with an entirely separate ticketing
system.  Don't get me wrong: Trac is arguably low-friction, but a lot of
folks would just not bother the minute they see it's something they have to
go outside of Github to do.