librsvg, and what MacPorts is for

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Oct 10 23:45:57 UTC 2023

On 11/10/2023 06:25, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> That said, I presume there's a strong overall consensus that on current
> hardware, we run the current (supported) versions of software, and that
> older operating systems and hardware are supported only on a "if it
> doesn't hurt anything" basis.

The expectation hasn't really changed since the earliest days of the
project: maintainers should keep their ports working on the latest
versions of macOS (roughly those that are getting security updates).
Supporting anything else is going above and beyond. This is even
referenced on the front page of our web site, which says we are
"targeting mainly [the current releases of macOS]".

Put another way, all port maintenance is best-effort, but some OS
versions are more best-effort than others. :)

There have been a number of previous discussions of this on the mailing
lists, if anyone wants to go try to dig them up.

- Josh