librsvg, and what MacPorts is for

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Tue Oct 10 22:09:44 UTC 2023

> That said, I presume there's a strong overall consensus that on current
> hardware, we run the current (supported) versions of software, and that
> older operating systems and hardware are supported only on a "if it doesn't
> hurt anything" basis.

I'm not sure this is 100% accurate, either. I think it's pretty much up to
the maintainers of each individual port, but I know that at least for me,
since I have some hardware that, for example, can't be upgraded beyond
10.11, I tend to maintain my ports using a "try our very best to make the
current version of the software work on older macOSes" mentality (hence the
existence of things like the legacysupport PortGroup). In some cases, that
may mean making a version-numbered subport of an older release that still
works on an older macOS, like what we have had to do with MoltenVK.

Is this potentially a risk when there are security patches that only work
on newer macOSes? Yes, but using an older version of macOS in and of itself
can be considered a security risk, so I think it's up to the user to make
the decision whether to run an out-of-date version of some piece of
software that is still being made available through MacPorts.

--
Jason Liu