[macports-base] rev-upgrade complains for weakly linked dependencies

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Mon Oct 16 18:13:48 UTC 2023

Hi all,

I'm getting complaints from rev-upgrade for a library binary that is weakly
linked to a system framework which does exist on newer versions of macOS,
but doesn't exist on older macOSes. rev-upgrade thinks that it's a broken
file, and offers to rebuild the port; but of course rebuilding the port
won't do any good, because the system framework doesn't exist. In addition,
it's a bit difficult to simply remove the weak linking, because this piece
of the library is distributed as a pre-compiled binary blob by the upstream
devs, so it's not like I could modify some source code or CMakeLists file.
Is this something that could be fixed in macports-base, so that rev-upgrade
doesn't complain if a weakly linked dependency doesn't exist? (I could file
a Trac ticket if anyone thinks it's something worth pursuing.)

P.S.: Supposed, I could use `install_name_tool` and set the offending
dependency to the root folder, '/', but that seems awfully hacky to me....

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4824885/remove-dependent-shared-library-from-a-dylib

--
Jason Liu