10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri Apr 5 07:53:12 UTC 2024

Hi,

Sorry - I missed these replies, ended up in the wrong mail folder. Was
about to re-write!

We had discussions in many points, tickets, ecc... lots of different
opinions.

Sergio Had wrote:
> You should not need gcc8. I had gcc11 working on 10.5 ppc (and ppc64
> too). I have seen people using gcc13 on 10.5 ppc following my
> instructions from the PR.
>
> What is the point of gcc8?

Some people think it is good to have all versions. Other voice for
directly gcc13.
Would we keep gcc6 in this jump? what we do with the working gcc7 we have?

I propose  to keep even versions, because they are stable ones and often
found long-term in Linux and BSD distributions.
If you think, we still tinker with gcc4.8, gcc6... but I never felt the
need for gcc5 (although one never knows for stubborn pieces of software)

I just started with gcc8 because it contains already some libc++
features I was needing without jumping to gcc13 and because it was the
next logical attmept. It was just a test to see how things are set on
intel and PPC.

I make the question the other way around. We have this "gap" because
these older platforms were not updated in their gcc versions regularly.
Otherwise, I suppose, we would have all versions up to gcc13. When gcc14
comes out, what will happen? Keep gcc13 and use libgcc14?

Other question: why do we have to "chain" all gccs so that having them
all means building them all? I supposed I just need the ealierst
ancestor which is capable of correctly compiling that said version of
gcc. So If gcc8 (supposed, not tested) is enough to compile libgcc13..
why can't I just have gcc8 and gcc13... and later if I want install
gcc10 or if I don't want, not?

Just ideas (and dumb questions).

Riccardo