10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri Apr 5 08:00:37 UTC 2024

Hi,

Ken Cunningham wrote:
> My only question is whether to skip over gcc8-12, or include them.
>
> If we skip over gcc8-12, we can probably have a new release that uses
> gcc13 as the primary gcc on all systems in macports done by Monday.
> Less maybe. Last time I jumped the version, it took me an hour.

Is gcc13 tested enough? I fear that since we are left at gcc7 for a long
time, that's the tested one.

> And then — no more worries. Existing macports base infrastructure will
> just work as it is. Some fairly minor tweaking of what compilers are
> available on which systems will be done.
>
> If we have to fix all the gcc versions between gcc8 and 12 — well that
> will take a bit more time to fix and to build.
6-7-13?
6-7-8-10-12-13?
6-8-13?

giving numbers :)  Keep odd compilers only if it is the last current
available.

What's actually to "fix" later and add in-between gcc's if needed?

> For Riccardo’s bug, we always knew the gcc JIT was fragile on 32 bit
> systems. It probably needs to be disabled there by tweaking this block
> in the gcc8

so you think the issue is 32bit ppc and I would have issues on 32bit
intel too? I need to fix that fan and test :)

> Portfile:
>
> if {${subport} eq "gcc8"} {
>
>      # the jit is not building on i386 systems
>      # seehttps://trac.macports.org/ticket/61130
>      if {${build_arch} ne "i386"} {
>          lappend gcc_configure_langs jit
>      }