10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri Apr 5 08:15:42 UTC 2024

Hi,

Ken Cunningham wrote:
> To have libgcc7, the way it is now, you need to build libgcc13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, and then 7.
>
> That is -- a lot of gcc building for a questionable benefit.

on my PowerMac dual-G4 about a week of compilation, given the time to
build gcc8...

But I understand we always build "latest available" (currently gcc13)..
but I don't understand the chain.

We need a newer library. I agree with you that having all in-between
version is nice but too much of a compile burden!

I have following ideas:

1) not jump to gcc13, but "just" to gcc8, gcc10 or whatever. Bandaid..
until we decide to raise the bar more!
2) do what you propose is gcc7 - gcc13
3) a "good sense" of some between versions. I propose even versions or a
subselection of them.

I propose 3) but an fine with 2... let's just update!

Riccardo