Port retirement / replacement?

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 02:45:08 UTC 2024

There is a port net/cidr, which is based on code last updated in 2001. The
homepage and master_sites all appear to be unreachable (I found the core
code at
https://web.archive.org/web/20020805173333/http://geeksoul.com/robert/cidr/current/cidr.c,
but that is the only code responding). There is no maintainer, and the only
checksum is md5. I haven't quite figured out whether there are other places
this code can be found (other than perhaps `sudo port fetch`)…but I am not
sure it is worth preserving in MacPorts, because it only deals with IPv4
CIDR manipulation.

There are more modern CLIs, like https://github.com/bschaatsbergen/cidr,
written in Go, that know how to deal with both IPv4 and IPv6 and do more
besides.

What's the process for retiring a port like this one or replacing the
implementation with something more modern? If I were to want to introduce
the cidr CLI in go, I would probably make a `net/go-cidr` port, and I know
that if we were to just drop it in it would need a new epoch (because the
versions are radically different).

-a
Austin Ziegler • halostatue at gmail.comaustin at halostatue.ca
http://www.halostatue.ca/http://twitter.com/halostatue