Support for ancient machines and operating systems

Sergey Fedorov vital.had at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 19:16:26 UTC 2024

*The whole of open-source is largely a hobby project* :)

> I will note, however, that there are a huge number of people who rely on
Sonoma on Intel or ARM as their daily work machine.

This is not the right question to ask. How many people exclusively depend
on Macports for their daily work will be a better one. It is irrelevant how
many use Sonoma as such, as long as they are not using Macports.

Then, how many people depend on 10.7, 10.8 or anything below, say, macOS
12? There is nothing specific to PowerPC here. Apple hardware restricts OS
which can be installed, so nobody gonna use older Intel systems just as
much for commercial applications.
In fact I would bet that there are more users of 10.5 ppc than of 10.7 x86.
There are some reasons to use the former, there are arguably none to use
the latter.