Support for ancient machines and operating systems

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Jan 8 19:54:58 UTC 2024

On 1/8/24 14:15, Sergey Fedorov wrote:

> /The whole of open-source is largely a hobby project/ :)

Lots of people are paid to work with or on open source software.
MacPorts is not an abstract pass-time like playing cards; it provides
people with functionality that they need to do their work and make their
machines operate the way they wish.

> Then, how many people depend on 10.7, 10.8 or anything below, say,
> macOS 12? There is nothing specific to PowerPC here. Apple hardware
> restricts OS which can be installed, so nobody gonna use Intel systems
> just as much for commercial applications.
> In fact I would bet that there are more users of 10.5 ppc than of 10.7
> x86. There are some reasons to use the former, there are arguably none
> to use the latter.

I think not very many people use such old versions of the system, and if
it becomes hard to support them, or takes a long time, one will have to
start questioning if it should be done by the main part of the project.

Perry