external build progress reporting cli utility?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:32:27 UTC 2024

Hi,

Does anyone else ever launch a substantial build on the "local console" and then leaves the Mac, but would like to monitor progress remotely sometimes from a simple SSH remote connection?

I do, and wonder how difficult it would be to be able to do something like `tail -f `port logfile foo` | port_progress` and get the same kind of progress report shown on the terminal where you launched the build command.

I know the progress bar is built from information that's also sent to the log file but not how straightforward it would be to write a Tcl script that loads the appropriate package(s) and applies the progress reporting routines on input read from stdin.

Implementing `tail -f` in Tcl would be a next-level exercise ;)

Thanks,
R.