10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:40:12 UTC 2024

supporting all the gcc versions between gcc 8 and 12 on older systems will be quite a bit of work and require a lot of build time for poor users of these systems.

To have libgcc7, the way it is now, you need to build libgcc13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, and then 7.

That is -- a lot of gcc building for a questionable benefit.

If we could agree to use what we have (up to gcc7) and then skip to gcc13 it would be much easier.

That would likely take no more than a few hours of work for some one to do, once there was consensus on it.

Ken