10.5 and gcc8 x86-64 ok but ppc bails with dlerror

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 18:33:06 UTC 2024

In general, the more a given system deviates from the main herd of ports, the more likely there are to be problems and the less likely they are to be fixed. To be honest, I don’t see why a new gcc port to be used only for powerpc is needed.

My only question is whether to skip over gcc8-12, or include them.

If we skip over gcc8-12, we can probably have a new release that uses gcc13 as the primary gcc on all systems in macports done by Monday. Less maybe. Last time I jumped the version, it took me an hour.

And then — no more worries. Existing macports base infrastructure will just work as it is. Some fairly minor tweaking of what compilers are available on which systems will be done.

If we have to fix all the gcc versions between gcc8 and 12 — well that will take a bit more time to fix and to build.

For Riccardo’s bug, we always knew the gcc JIT was fragile on 32 bit systems. It probably needs to be disabled there by tweaking this block in the gcc8 Portfile:

if {${subport} eq "gcc8"} {

    # the jit is not building on i386 systems
    # see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61130
    if {${build_arch} ne "i386"} {
        lappend gcc_configure_langs jit
    }