cmake PG should ensure correct libdir, otherwise ports are broken on linux

Sergey Fedorov vital.had at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 01:26:02 UTC 2024

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 7:12 AM Ken Cunningham <
ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, if you over-write 64 bit libs with 32 bit libs of the same
> name, or vice versa, in the same location, you are just hosed, ldconfig or
> no ldconfig.
>
> Which is why linux has the lib32 and lib64 subfolders iin the first place.

If I build something for i386 and something else for x86_64 on macOS (which
is technically possible) without knowing what and why I am doing, that
won’t work either. Doing silly stuff will bring silly results.

TBH, I don’t see a meaningful reason why a non-developer would want to
build for 32-bit on a 64-bit system (visa versa perhaps is not even
possible). On macOS it might make sense on old systems, but why on modern
Linux?