seems to be a tonne of opportunity to smoke fink

Ryan Carsten Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 29 20:28:37 UTC 2024

On Sep 29, 2024, at 07:13, Gagan Sidhu wrote:

> you are correct that users are able to build “any software you want”, but only with some involved  _EDITS_ of the _CURRENT_ portfiles of the aforementioned ports.

> are we expecting the macports user to know how to do all of this?

> with some maintenance of existing portfiles for popular software, i think macports popularity could increase significantly

Certainly it is not expected for *every user* to need to know how to build a given piece of software. The whole point of MacPorts is that only *one user* needs to figure it out. They encode that knowledge into a portfile so that then every other user can build that software by just asking MacPorts to do it. So if you know of any problem in any port and know how to fix it, please submit a pull request so that everyone can benefit. That's how this whole thing works. Nothing gets done unless someone contributes it.