MacPorts dns outage

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Dec 2 08:04:02 PST 2006

The MacPorts domain was out for a while yesterday as our DNS
provider, http://www.everydns.net was affected by a large scale DDoS
attack. Their four geographically separated servers were taken down
in the attack. You may read more about it on the everydns site.

While we thought that four geographically distributed servers were
sufficient, it turns out that might not be so when politics mean we
may need organizational diversity in addition to geographic and
topological diversity.

We'll be adding a couple more secondaries from other sources to
prevent this sort of thing from affecting us in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions.

James