Install issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 5 11:26:54 PST 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:32, Marshall Rodriquez wrote:

> I tried looking through the mailing list archives and didn't see my
> big issue covered. Basically I've installed version 1.320 and get
> the following error when I try to run the selfupdate:
>
> Marshall-Rodriquezs-Computer:/opt/local/bin marshallrodriquez$
> sudo ./port selfupdate
> DarwinPorts base version 1.320 installed
> Error: ./port: selfupdate failed: couldn't open "/opt/local/var/db/
> dports/sources/rsync.rsync.macports.org _dpupdate1/base/config/
> dp_version": no such file or directory
>
> I checked and the folder is there, though there is a space in it
> which seems to be the disconnect. Is that supposed to be there?

Where is there a space? The path "/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
rsync.rsync.macports.org_dpupdate1/base/config/dp_version" should
exist without any spaces in it. (My email program will probably
insert some into this message, but there shouldn't be any.)

> I also checked the .profile file and the recommended paths are in
> there, but I still have to navigate to the /opt/local/bin directory
> to even run the command. I should also mention that I have to use
> the ./ to run the command, which makes me wonder if something is
> set up wrong since the documentations says it should work without
> it. I have tried setting up the older versions of DarwinPorts
> before I tracked down where the current source was, if that might
> give any indication. If someone has had this issue or know where I
> could read up on it, any help will be appreciated. Thank you

I don't know about .profile; I use the file ~/.bash_profile and it
works fine. I include a line like this:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin:
$PATH