Install issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 6 12:54:24 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 11:26, Marshall Rodriquez wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:48 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 2006, at 15:26, Marshall Rodriquez wrote:
>>
>>> The space is "macports.org _dpupdate1". It's in the error message
>>> and in the folder name, so it seems like it's deliberate, but it
>>> doesn't allow things to work. I'll try looking through the source
>>> and see if it's there somewhere.
>>
>> Have you manually edited the file /opt/local/etc/ports/ports.conf
>> to reference rsync.macports.org? If so, check if there is a space
>> after "rsync.macports.org" in the relevant line; if so, remove it.
>
> Ok, last night I went through and removed every file and folder I
> could find and then reinstalled, and tried the .bash_profile to add
> the path. Now DP is installed and runs, though when I go to install
> fox or glut it seems to be trying to get them from opendarwin.org .
> Naturally, it just runs through those 4 servers over and over
> again. One odd thing is it's trying to fetch the file XFree86-4.5.0-
> src-3.tgz or XFree86-4.5.0-src-4.tgz , and tries to fetch it for
> either of my attempted installs. When I look in my sources.conf
> file, I see things pointed at rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/
> dpupdate/dports . Am I correct that this(where the port is looking
> for the file) is something set server side?

As far as I know, rsync.darwinports.org is still the normal location
for port updates to come from. Mine says rsync.macports.org, but only
because I manually changed it because someone on this list said I
should. But then someone else told me I shouldn't have done it.
That's why I asked if you had manually edited the file.

The fact that it's trying to install XFree86 suggests that you do not
have all of Apple's X11 installed. I recommend you install Apple's
X11 instead of building XFree86. Look in /Library/Receipts and see if
you have both X11User.pkg and X11SDK.pkg. If you do not have
X11User.pkg, install it from your Mac OS X CD or DVD. If you do not
have X11SDK.pkg, install it from the Xcode CD or the Xcode download
from developer.apple.com.