liboil build failure (Mactel, OS X 10.4.8)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 6 21:09:09 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 22:33, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Using the workaround on trac addressed my problem with building
> evolution-data-server, but it's still a hack.  Still, if that problem
> comes up in the future, there are at least two people who have been
> able
> to get around it.
>
> The next problem is liboil.  Particularly, a weird Assembler pseudo-op
> called ".balign" is getting introduced, and GCC apparently doesn't
> know
> how to deal with it.
>
> I'm still unable to log into trac, so I can't open a bug on this
> myself.
>  In the interim, I've sent a 'port -dv install liboil' log to Daniel
> Ericsson.
>
> Has anyone found this .balign problem before?  If so, how did it
> get solved?
>
> A (non- -dv) port install output follows here.

[snip]

> /var/tmp//ccgwIKbW.s:24:Unknown pseudo-op: .balign
> /var/tmp//ccgwIKbW.s:24:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued
> 49 (1).
> make[3]: *** [libi386_la-copy8x8_i386.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2

320 results for "Unknown pseudo-op: .balign" on Google. Looks to me
like that's a PowerPC thing, and you're on Intel.

The liboil port is at version 0.3.6 which seems to be from November
2005. Current version is 0.3.10 from November 2006. Perhaps that
fixes it. Port has no maintainer. Any reason we can't update this to
0.3.10? I have no idea what it is, what it's for or what might be
using it.