liboil build failure (Mactel, OS X 10.4.8)

Robert J. Hansen rjhansen at cs.uiowa.edu
Wed Dec 6 21:18:13 PST 2006

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> 320 results for "Unknown pseudo-op: .balign" on Google. Looks to me like
> that's a PowerPC thing, and you're on Intel.

It's actually not a PowerPC thing.  If I remember my gas right, it's
just a macro; you should be able to substitute '.align X' for any set of
'.balign Y'.  If memory serves, X = log2 of Y, or maybe I have that
reversed.  I haven't needed to know gas since undergrad.

It appears to be the case, judging from some traffic on the Fink list,
that it's caused by Mactel gas being old and out-of-date compared to the
 current gas in binutils.

> it. Port has no maintainer. Any reason we can't update this to 0.3.10? I
> have no idea what it is, what it's for or what might be using it.

liboil.freedesktop.org describes it as "a library of simple functions
that are optimized for various CPUs".  A lot of stuff in GNOME depends
upon it.