A variety of problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 11 18:20:40 PST 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:34, Eric Angell wrote:

> I then reran my gnucash install line, and had problems creating
> destroot for qt3.  Specifically, it was trying to move something
> like
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _private_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_d
> pupdate_dports_x11_qt3/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/*.*
> to ~destroot/opt/local/lib/qt3/lib, and nothing was matching the
> glob.  After a bunch of poking around, I found that the stuff it
> was looking for had actually been built in
> ~destroot/private/opt/local/lib, so I moved it over, convinced
> archive to rerun with some difficulty*, and all was happy.  I
> have no idea why it was building the libraries in
> ~destroot/private/opt/..., since it built everything else in
> ~destroot/opt/..., but there it was.

[snip]

> ~% port provides /opt/local/bin/ethereal
> /private/opt/local/bin/ethereal is not provided by a MacPorts port.
> ~% port contents ethereal | grep /opt/local/bin/ethereal
>   /opt/local/bin/ethereal
> ~% port -v -d provides /opt/local/bin/ethereal
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/bin/ethereal
> /private/opt/local/bin/ethereal is not provided by a MacPorts port.

Why is your /opt inside /private? That should not be. Perhaps you
installed the Cisco VPN client and it screwed up your MacPorts?
Please see:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/student-dev/2005/Nov/msg00074.html

This used to be in the FAQ but was removed two months ago, apparently
because Cisco fixed their VPN client. But maybe you used an older
version.

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/FAQ?
version=1#IjustinstalledMacPorts1.2fromthe.dmgandIseemtohavelostallmyins
talledportsakaCiscoVPNatemyMacPorts