install of octave not possible?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 13 12:52:34 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:38, Jörg Frauendiener wrote:

> Thanks a lot for pointing me to the patch. Now it worked. However,
> along the way gcc-4.0.3 was also installed even though I have
> gcc-4.0.1 available which comes with Xcode.
>
> I wonder whether this is really necessary? Is there a way to tell
> `port' which compiler to use?

No; that's not for the user to decide; that's for the port author to
decide. The octave port specifies that it requires the gcc40 port:

depends_run	bin:gnuplot:gnuplot	\
		port:gcc40

And in fact on Intel, it requires the gcc42 port:

platform darwin 8 i386 {
	depends_run-delete      port:gcc40
	depends_run-append      port:gcc42

It looks like this was changed a month ago:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/20584

You can ask the committer or the octave maintainer for more
information if necessary. You can of course also play around with the
portfile yourself, removing the gcc40 line, uninstalling the gcc40
port, and seeing if it still works for you, and telling the committer
and the maintainer about this if it does. Note that since this port
has some variation between ppc and i386 hardware, it would be best
for you to test on both types of machine, lest you break one or the
other with your changes.