java-gnome

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Thu Dec 14 03:05:09 PST 2006

On 13 Dec 2006, at 20:38, Bob Portmann wrote:

> It states on [1] that java-gnome "It is not likely that the GNOME Java
> bindings will be ported unless GTK is ported to Aqua.".  Why is this?
> There are ports of pygtk, and gtk-sharp to Macports and it would seem
> that python and mono have the exact same issues as java.  Like Java,
> both of these run their own interpreter or virtual machine and include
> other toolkits.  Java-gnome is just a layer between java code and GTK
> and the GTK layer takes care of things on the X11 end.  One could run
> the java code from an X-term and it should work fine.  Am I missing
> something here?

MacPorts is able to ship its own python and mono builds that are
built to support X11. The Java implementation on Apple systems does
not support X11, and is an Aqua-based build.

It seems to me that mixing the two output systems (X11 and Aqua) is a
bad idea, but if you wish to try it, please do so. If you are
successful, then I'll revise that statement.