php5 +apache installation workaround

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Sun Dec 17 23:32:26 PST 2006

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> on Sunday, December 17, 2006 at
10:57 PM -0800 wrote:
>> Naming is important.  I think "macosx" is a terrible name for a
>> variant
>> because it doesn't mean anything to someone that doesn't already
>> know.  I
>> like the snmp variants to php5 as a model.  Probably because I
>> contributed
>> them.
>>
>> +snmp
>> +macports_snmp
>>
>> It seems clear to me what each one days.  And if it still weren't
>> clear
>> there are the Portfile comments.
>>
>> # This compiles PHP5 with SNMP linked against Apple's included NET-
>> SNMP.
>>
>> # This compiles PHP with SNMP linked against MacPorts' NET-SNMP.
>
>I object to this naming (for the SNMP port as well, I just forgot to
>say so before) because the MacPorts philosophy has always been to
>build its own versions of software, and not use any versions Apple
>may already have installed with the OS. This is explained in the FAQ:
>
>http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
>FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries
>
>Therefore, one should be able to assume that a variant uses MacPorts
>software only, unless otherwise noted.

Though the standards and documentation to which you refer do not impose
naming conventions, I do think the names can reflect this and I agree with
you.  I liked the clarity of the names and the naming method for the snmp
variant, I wasn't necessarily enamored of the names themselves.

>Therefore, I would have the
>+snmp and +apache variants using the MacPorts versions of that
>software, and introduce new variants to handle the cases where using
>the Apple software is desired. (I haven't done research on what other
>ports like this are doing, but maybe +snmp_apple and +apache_apple.)

That's what I was thinking too, unless someone else can think of a better
name I think that is probably the best way to go.

>Incidentally, I'm seeing this question in the FAQ
>
>http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
>FAQ#WhenIinstalltheportofPHP5MacPortswantstoinstallApache1.3eventhoughIu
>seApache2.WhatdoIneedtodo
>
>which suggests that the php5 port already supports all three Apache
>
>- with the apache2 variant, it builds Apache 2 from MacPorts
>- with the apache variant, it uses Apache 1 from Apple
>- with no variant, it uses Apache 1 from MacPorts
>
>If this behavior indeed exists (I have not confirmed it), it strikes
>me as bizarre, and I would want to change it to something more sane
>and understandable like:
>
>- with the apache2 variant, it builds Apache 2 from MacPorts
>- with the apache variant, it builds Apache 1 from MacPorts
>- with the apache_apple variant, it uses Apache 1 from Apple
>- with no variant, no Apache support of any kind is built

I think that makes sense.

Mark