openssl upgrade fubar?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 25 22:19:05 PST 2006

On Dec 26, 2006, at 00:05, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2006, at 12:57 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Yes -- you told it to. That's what "-f" does. It forces the
>> reinstall, even if MacPorts doesn't think it needs to.
>>
>> If you just want to reinstall Subversion and not its dependencies,
>> also use the "-n" flag.
>
> Ah, then the meaning has changed. I always pass -f to upgrade
> because otherwise MacPorts refuses to deactivate the old version if
> the are any ports which depend on it, despite the fact that it's
> about to activate the new version.

Yeah, annoying.

> In times past, the -f flag did not force it to upgrade dependencies
> that didn't need the upgrade.

I didn't know that.

> I want to upgrade out-of-date dependencies, I just also want to
> actually install the damn thing.
>
> Is there any solution to this right now?

Personally, I know which of the ports I use require which other
ports, so I manually "sudo port -ncuf upgrade foo" for each port, in
the correct order (e.g., if apr, apr-util and subversion all need
updating, do them in that order).

I don't know if there's a better more-automated way.