Syncing multiple macport installs

Mark Fredrickson mark.m.fredrickson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 10:56:10 PST 2006

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes for keeping two macs in sync
with regard to their macport installations? Specifically, is there a
good way to build on one machine and then not have to duplicate that
build process on the other?

I tried changing the prefix and user/group of my macports install, in
an attempt to localize it all within a single directory, but I have
found that problematic (many ports do not play well in the sandbox).

I've reverted to using the standard locations and owners, but I still
worry about syncing two machines (say, with rsync or unison) since
things are installed outside of /opt (eg. launch items, etc).

As anyone built a system where you package up your macports as .pkg
files and push them to other machines? (or something similar).

Thanks in advance,
-mark