Syncing multiple macport installs

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Dec 28 12:35:11 PST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Mark Fredrickson wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes for keeping two macs in sync
> with regard to their macport installations? Specifically, is there a
> good way to build on one machine and then not have to duplicate that
> build process on the other?

You can turn on archive mode and share the archives across machines
(and on the non-build machine run port in 'binary-only mode' with -b).

> I tried changing the prefix and user/group of my macports install, in
> an attempt to localize it all within a single directory, but I have
> found that problematic (many ports do not play well in the sandbox).
>
> I've reverted to using the standard locations and owners, but I still
> worry about syncing two machines (say, with rsync or unison) since
> things are installed outside of /opt (eg. launch items, etc).
>
> As anyone built a system where you package up your macports as .pkg
> files and push them to other machines? (or something similar).

I've got an unfinished patch to let you pull archives from a remote
repo, and have used it successfully on two machines I have access to
(I just made the archives available via http and then I didn't have
to rsync or otherwise mirror the archives from one machine to the
other).

--
Daniel J. Luke