Building octave

Anthony Michael Agelastos iqgrande at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 15:12:32 PST 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Calum Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered some problems when building SuiteSparse and have
> applied the patch using:
>
> sudo patch -p1 < patch-SuiteSparse-Portfile
>
> and this appears to apply the patch:
>
> patching file opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/math/SuiteSparse/Portfile
> patching file files/patch-complex-type
> patching file files/patch-config
> patching file files/patch-disable-demos
> patching file files/patch-macports-metis
> patching file files/patch-powerpc-nanotime
> patching file files/patch-size_t-fix
>
> However, when I come to build octave, I do:
>
> sudo port -v install octave
>
> and get:
>
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> --->  Fetching SuiteSparse
> --->  patch-complex-type doesn't seem to exist in /opt/local/var/db/
> dports/distfiles/SuiteSparse
> --->  Attempting to fetch patch-complex-type from http://distfiles-
> od.opendarwin.org/SuiteSparse
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
> Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:56
> --:--:--     0
>
> Various attempts are made to find the file patch-complex-type to no
> avail.
>
> Can someone tell me what I need to do to build SuiteSparse?
It has been my experience that the patch is not needed if you do not
mind doing some work yourself. The following steps should allow you
to build SuiteSparse.

1) Go to http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/ and
download SuiteSparse-2.1.1.tar.gz. I will assume that you have this
automatically download to ~/Desktop.

2) Do `sudo mv ~/Desktop/SuiteSparse-2.1.1.tar.gz /opt/local/var/db/
dports/distfiles/SuiteSparse/SuiteSparse.tar.gz`. This command
assumes that you have a standard MacPorts installation.

3) Do `sudo port install SuiteSparse` with the standard Portfile (no
patch applied) and it should work.

> Thanks.
I hope this helps. Good luck.