port tries to compile with gcc3.4 every time

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Wed Nov 8 05:46:59 PST 2006

Citando Francisco Moreno Muñoz :

> El 07/11/2006, a las 23:31, Ryan Schmidt escribió:
>

> >On Nov 7, 2006, at 03:57, Francisco Moreno Muñoz wrote:
> >
> >>Every time i try to install something with the ports I get this
> >>error message:
> >>
> >>--->  Configuring gcc34
> >>Error: Target com.apple.configure returned: configure failure:
> >>shell command "cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> >>_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
> >>_dports_lang_gcc34/work/build" && CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.3 /opt/local/
> >>var/db/dports/build/
> >>
> >>I've already tried to do gcc_select 4.0 or gcc_select 3.3 but it
> >>still tries to compile with gcc3.4 (which I don't have), and I
> >>don't know why.
> >>Is there a way to force ports to compile with gcc4.0? Or do you
> >>know another solution?
> >
> >gcc3 is not supported on Intel, so as you've realized, you don't
> >want to be compiling that. However, only specific ports explicitly
> >depend on gcc3. Exactly which ports are you trying to use which are
> >doing this? Most shouldn't.
> >

> Really? I didn't knew that. Anyway, I think I didn't explain myself
> properly. It tries to compile with gcc3.4 all the ports I try to
> install. Every last one of them. Maybe all the ports I tried depended
> on gcc 3.4? I think it would be a big coincidence. In this specific
> case the port was libtorrent.

Unfortunately the version of libtorrent provided by macports depends on
gcc3 (see port depends libtorrent for the list of dependencies and
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ticket/96 for the reason). However, newer
version of libtorrent compile well with gcc4.0. See
https://svn.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/10906 (maybe it
could be committed?)

Emmanuel