Trouble with postgresql81 installation.

Samuel V Green III unkie at cox.net
Fri Nov 10 13:30:20 PST 2006

I found a solution to my posted error and am posting what "works for
me" incase
there is someone experiencing the same error with the (variant
+postgresql) option
added to a php5 build via macports.

I am doing this on a Mac (PowerBook).  With a freash install of Tiger
(10.4.8)
with MacPorts version 1.320.

I examined the INSTALL notes in the source package of PostgresSQL 8.1.5.
In the notes you will find, "It is recommended to use  (gmake)
version 3.76.1 or later."
Via MacPorts I then installed gmake :
# sudo port -v install gmake
This results in a port install of GNU Make 3.81.
I then again tried to build Php5 with the variant +postgresql option
and still
got the error.

 From here I saw two choices:
	a.) Build from source via - http://www.postgresql.org/download/
	b.) Install the binary package of PostgreSQL offered by Marc
Liyanage at:
	     http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

I choose option "b.)" and modified the php5 Portfile to reflect the
reflect the
Marc Liyanage package install before I attempted my next port php5
build and install:

variant postgresql {
		configure.args-append	--with-pgsql=/usr/local/bin\
					--with-pdo-pgsql=/usr/local/bin
   		}

The build and install of php5 finally completed without any errors.
php5 @5.2.0_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5+postgresql+snmp (active)

Another reason I choose the package installation is because of the
pgsql-startupitem-1.2.pkg.
It installs a great "auto start" process that works well.

Hope some of this helps someone attempting to browse the list looking
for a possible solution
or "work around" to the variant +postgresql option added to a port
install of php5.

--Samuel.