Trouble with postgresql81 installation.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 10 13:52:16 PST 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 15:30, Samuel V Green III wrote:

> I found a solution to my posted error and am posting what "works
> for me" incase
> there is someone experiencing the same error with the (variant
> +postgresql) option
> added to a php5 build via macports.
>
> I am doing this on a Mac (PowerBook).  With a freash install of
> Tiger (10.4.8)
> with MacPorts version 1.320.
>
> I examined the INSTALL notes in the source package of PostgresSQL
> 8.1.5.
> In the notes you will find, "It is recommended to use  (gmake)
> version 3.76.1 or later."
> Via MacPorts I then installed gmake :
> # sudo port -v install gmake
> This results in a port install of GNU Make 3.81.
> I then again tried to build Php5 with the variant +postgresql
> option and still
> got the error.
>
> From here I saw two choices:
> 	a.) Build from source via - http://www.postgresql.org/download/
> 	b.) Install the binary package of PostgreSQL offered by Marc
> Liyanage at:
> 	     http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
>
> I choose option "b.)" and modified the php5 Portfile to reflect the
> reflect the
> Marc Liyanage package install before I attempted my next port php5
> build and install:
>
> variant postgresql {
> 		configure.args-append	--with-pgsql=/usr/local/bin\
> 					--with-pdo-pgsql=/usr/local/bin
>   		}
>
> The build and install of php5 finally completed without any errors.
> php5 @5.2.0_0+apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql5+postgresql+snmp (active)
>
> Another reason I choose the package installation is because of the
> pgsql-startupitem-1.2.pkg.
> It installs a great "auto start" process that works well.
>
> Hope some of this helps someone attempting to browse the list
> looking for a possible solution
> or "work around" to the variant +postgresql option added to a port
> install of php5.

You should not have to reach to anything outside of MacPorts to make
this work. If you do, that's a bug in a portfile that should be fixed.

MacPorts's PostgreSQL also includes a launch services item which
should be able to start the server at startup. With most ports, you
would install the port with the "+server" variant. This applies to
e.g. mysql5 and to the old postgresql8 port. However, the newer
current postgresql81 port does not offer this; instead it seems
you're supposed to install the postgresql81-server port instead.

However, the php5 port variant "+postgresql" depends on the
postgresql81 port, not the postgresql81-server port.

Does this work together? How did the authors of the postgresql81-
server port and the +postgresql variant of the php5 port intend these
options to work together?